As part of our recognition of March being National Nutrition Month, the A’viands Nutrition & Wellness Department will be offering a “Tip of the Day” as much as possible during the month. The tip is meant to inspire you to try new foods, incorporate healthier foods into your diet and increase your awareness of your overall health.
March 8, 2013 – Tip of the Day
Avoid oversized portions. Use a smaller plate, bowl or glass. Portion out the foods before you eat. When eating out, choose the smaller size option, share a dish or take home part of your meal.
Standard Portion sizes:
- ½ c cooked rice, pasta or potato = ½ of baseball
- 1 baked potato = size of your fist
- 1 medium piece of fruit = a baseball
- ½ c fresh or canned fruit = ½ of baseball
- 1 ½ ounce low fat cheese = 4 stacked dice
- 3 ounces of meat = deck of cards